Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Who-Who" and the Spider Dance (ZOOL 204, Dan Thunell BA `01,)

Several years ago I submitted this story to BYU magazine. It was put
on their online issue in the summer of 2005. He was a great professor
and example.

Invigorating Invertebrates

By Daniel H. Thunell (BA ’01), Pittsburgh, PA

In fall semester 1998 I enrolled in Professor Lee F. Braithwaite’s Zoology 204 invertebrate course. Invertebrates would be a tough class even without the 8 a.m. start time, but the combination of my late nights and a dimly lit classroom made attentiveness nearly impossible for me.

After several weeks of sleeping through lectures, I decided to write him an anonymous letter, pleading with him to interact with the class before starting his lecture to help us stay more awake. I slipped the note under his door one afternoon and left it at that. To my surprise, the next morning he read my letter to the class and addressed me as “Who-Who.” He said he would like to dedicate a song to the author and proceeded to do a boisterous song-and-dance routine. Everyone roared and whistled when he finished, and I was wide awake. This wake-up call was repeated several times throughout the semester, and every member of the class appreciated his sense of humor. On the last day of class, Professor Braithwaite dimmed the lights, placed a chair on a table and left the room. Moments later he returned dressed up as a spider and demonstrated the proper mating dance of spiders (with the chair being the spider he was trying to impress). The class erupted, and he received a standing ovation.

After his performance, I decided I had better introduce myself to him and reveal my identity. When I told him I was Who-Who, he laughed a little and said, “I thought Who-Who was a female student judging from the handwriting.” I guess he had the last laugh.

(Daniel Thunell earned a DMD and is now a periodontist and owner of Wasatch Periodontics, in Holladay, Utah.)

No comments: