Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Monday, April 4, 2011

"Three steps later..." (Ben Werner, OIMB 2007)

Dr. B,

You have given me eyes to see.  I remember one day on the beach in Coos Bay.  The whole class was out on the beach, scattered far and wide.  You walked out to the beach and said, "They think if they go farther away they will find more".  Three steps later you bent over and picked up a jelly fish that had washed up on the shore.  Then you walked over to a boulder and started taking pictures of invertebrates I had not seen until that point.  Not that they were not there, it's just I had not yet looked.  I followed you for 15 minutes to just see how you saw.  I have tried to remember that life is always in front of me, if only I will take a moment to look for it.  The sunset, the invertebrates, things to be grateful for, are always in front of me.

I also need to thank you for helping me learn how to learn.  The lectures, learning to take down every word in notes, and learning to see the detail needed for an illustration have been invaluable to me.  It has allowed me to learn faster and to retain longer.  Your friendship, your example of steady discipleship, and self discipline inspire me.  Thank you.

Ben Werner

OIMB 2007

(I am currently a first year dental student at University of Louisville School of Dentistry and a 2nd Lt in the US ARMY.  My wife Emily and I have been married for 3.5 years and have two children, Autumn Rose (2yrs), and Gideon Duncan (7 mos.))

No comments: