Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Fog is neat! (Quinn Biesinger (Hopkins, 1996-97)

Despite the advances in technology and the resulting speed with which we can now communicate, I have just now learned of Dr. B’s retirement. Although my life still has me landlocked in Utah and my career has nothing to do with marine biology, my wife and I have managed a nearly annual trip to the coast with our family to enjoy the ocean and all the “critters” to be found there. On our last trip we were in Oregon and were excited to visit the tide pools, so we consulted the tide tables and found that the low-low tide was very early in the morning. We considered settling for the high-low, but the words of Dr. B resounded in my head, “When it’s low, we go!”  So we loaded 7 kids into the van and headed to the beach. The kids were initially excited about the countless sea stars (“they are not starfish”) and Strongylocentrotus purpuratus (yes, I still amaze people with my knowledge of scientific names for sea creatures) but I encouraged them to look closer to see the mini wonders. After staring into one small, neglected pool for several minutes I found a beautiful specimen of the wonders of the sea. Wildly gesticulating, I called for the kids to come and look! With several heads bent over this tiny pool, noses just inches from the water, a passerby hurried over excitedly and asked what we were all gawking at. I lifted my head and said enthusiastically, “A nudibranch…a sea slug!”  With a “humph” she walked away in disappointment and disgust as I described its translucent body, the brown stripes and the cerata with bright fluorescent yellow tips. I knew Dr. B would have been proud of my tiny find.

After my wife and I spent a semester in Monterey as students, Dr. B let me come back the next year as one of his divers. Shortly after arriving I developed an ear infection and ruptured my ear drum, which severely limited my diving time. I felt terrible and I could only imagine how disappointed Dr. B must have been, but he never let it show. He only expressed concern for my well-being.

Like others have mentioned, I will always look back on my time with Dr. B as my most educational, enjoyable and meaningful time at BYU.

“Fog is neat!!!!”

Quinn Biesinger, ’96 & ’97 as student then diver, Real Estate Appraiser in Kaysville, Utah.

No comments: