Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Clock Shopping in Carmel-By-The-Sea (Molly Lorton Aldridge, HMS '97)

Dear Dr. B.,

I remember the first time I stood in front of your office in the basement of the WIDB. I read your nameplate and stared for I don't know how long at the wide door. Is it just me or is that office door extra wide? I felt so small in front of it. I didn’t have an appointment, and I didn’t even know if you were there. I was too scared to knock, so I turned around and went home.

When I finally got the courage to meet with you, I was welcomed into a wonderland of an office. The opposite of Ariel in The Little Mermaid who collected treasures from the land, you collected treasures from the sea. How many wonders can one BYU office hold?

From that point on, I made several visits to your office for academic advisement, applying to the Monterey program (1997), and then again begging you to let me return the following year as a teaching assistant. I prided myself in knowing the silly Dr. B and not just the dignified, intimidating Dr. Braithwaite.

I have several favorite memories about our time in Monterey. As a student, I was amazed at the passion you had for your field of study and the meticulous nature with which you built your career. I remember the stories you told of copying marine biology books by hand into your own notebooks and living on franks and beans in order to be closer to the ocean. I was amazed by your handwriting and practiced writing my “g”s like you, but your handwriting was nothing compared to your drawings! Detailed, thoughtful renditions of phytoplankton never looked so good as they did on the chalkboards of Hopkins Marine Station! To this day, my Monterey notebook of lecture notes and drawings is one of my favorite possessions.

In addition to the purely scientific, you taught me many other lessons of life:

1.   By far, my favorite memory was when you honored me by letting me go antique clock shopping with you. To this day, I remember the little clock shops in Carmel-by-the-Sea, and I still love antique clocks. I appreciate the clean, straight lines of Mission style clocks and you preferred, if I remember correctly, the more ornate German clocks.

2.   Fools’ names like fools’ faces are often seen in public places. In other words, don’t scratch your name into the desk, Molly.

3.   Buy quality furniture. Be patient and wait until you can afford to buy a nice piece. Don’t waste your money on things that you will end up replacing in two years.

4.   Fountain pens are a worthy indulgence.

5.   Girls walk funny in big shoes. In other words, those 4 inch platform sandals you think are cute and in style this summer of 1998, really make you look silly.  You probably shouldn’t wear them.

6.   Sometimes the gifts we receive from listening to the Holy Ghost are sacred and shouldn’t be, necessarily, advertised from the pulpit.

Thank you, Dr. B, for lessons taught, marine and not.  I’m so glad I finally knocked on that office door of yours! Best wishes for a well-deserved retirement.

Love,
Molly Lorton Aldridge

(Molly Lorton Aldridge, BYU '98, lives Durham, NC and is an epidemiologist for the State of North Carolina.) 

No comments: