Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Look Closer (Chris Pattillo BYU '97)




Dr. B,
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to be good at something unique.  You gave me to chance to be one of your divers after my first year in Monterey.  The three Springs in Monterey (95-97) and having a desk in your lab my senior year are still some of my best memories.
·         Look closer.
·         If at first you do succeed try again anyway because you can do better.
·         A large fresh strawberry can make a really convincing tongue if you hold it in your mouth just right.  
I use the lessons learned in your classes and through your friendship constantly.   It doesn’t matter if I am taking the Boy Scouts on an outing, teaching SCUBA, playing with my girls or in my day job managing a software development team the lessons learned between Monterey tides have blessed my life.  I learned to be kind, patient, give others a chance to succeed and occasionally stick a strawberry tongue out at someone.  
Thank you Dr. B I would not be who or where I am today without the faith you showed in me.
-Chris
Chris Pattillo
(Chris is now an Interface and Data Integration Manager at Group Health Cooperative in the Seattle, WA, area, and is also an Advanced Open Water Instructor at Scuba Sports)

No comments: