Letters to Lee

This site is dedicated to celebrating Dr. Lee F. Braithwaite upon his retirement after more than 40 years of service at BYU.

Dr. Braithwaite mentored many graduate students and had a positive impact on literally 1000s of students during his career.

You are invited to submit a congratulatory note, a story, an experience you had with LFB, pictures, or anything that lets Dr. B know that what he did mattered to you. Your submissions can be serious, humorous, whatever, but I know that he would love to see something from you.

The restrictions of this site do not allow open postings, so if you have something to share, please send them to me at holyoaka@byui.edu and I will post them for you.

Please include the following information with each submission: Your name, where and when you interacted with LFB, where you are now, and what you are currently doing.

I look forward to receiving and posting your notes, comments, memories, photos, etc.., and to seeing the number of postings on this site grow.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Thank you, Dr. B, for your many lessons, both spoken and unspoken. (Paul Dunn '2006)

Dear Dr. B,

It’s hard to know where to begin…perhaps at the beginning?  The first time I saw you, Lee Braithwaite, I was too shy to say hello.  I was a sophomore at BYU and had just decided that a career in dentistry really wasn’t what I wanted to do with my life.  Reviving a childhood passion, I had decided to explore the option of a career in marine biology.  I wandered down to the basement of the Widtsoe Building and discovered the beautiful aquaria you had set up down there.  I saw a huge blue lobster, colorful starfish, and delicate tube anemones.  I was completely blown away.  I probably stood watching the animals for 15 minutes before I saw someone emerge from an office.  I had been directed to come down to this magical place to find a Dr. Braithwaite and ask him about becoming a marine biologist, but now that you stood in front of me, my mind went blank.  I just stood there.  Luckily for me, you weren’t quite so overwhelmed.  “Can I help you?” you asked.  Relieved, I set up an appointment to see you the next day. 

And thus began a wonderful journey.  

I took every class at BYU that you taught, enjoying every moment of the beautiful slide shows, well-delivered lectures, and fantastic strobe-lit spider dances.  When spring term finally arrived, I followed you to Hopkins Marine Station.  I went tidepooling for the first time in my life, seeing creatures I had never even imagined.  I watched in awe as an octopus captured a crab.  I dug up “weenie worms” in a stinky mudflat and enjoyed every minute of it.  I peered through a microscope and saw a beautiful sand dollar embryo divide from two cells into four.  I tried (in vain) to make drawings in my notebook worthy of your chalkboard artistry.  I took notes until my hand ached.  And I fell in love with marine biology.
Over the next few years, I had the wonderful opportunity to work with you as your T.A., both at Provo and during your spring term trips.  I helped you make the transition from spring terms at Hopkins to spring terms at OIMB.  And there you introduced me to my next great advisor:  Dr. Craig Young, a former Braithwaite student as well.

I’ve learned so much from my association with you, Dr. B.  I’ve learned a lot about marine life, to be sure, but I’ve also learned a lot about how to live my life.  You taught me attention to detail and an ability to see beauty in unexpected places.  You showed me the importance of family and friends.   And you were always the supreme example of kindness.   Thank you, Dr. B, for your many lessons, both spoken and unspoken.  I am honored to have been one of your students.  And thank you for being my wonderful role model, advisor, and friend.

Your friend always,

Paul Dunn

(Paul Dunn is currently a PhD student at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology of the University of Oregon)

No comments: